Thursday 5 February 2009

Nothing Much

Thinking about it recently and particularly today, there’s nothing much been happening. Perhaps my life is nothing more than a bore or that I have lost the ability to remember things. Or maybe I’m just knackered. Ok, currently the snow has affected me by preventing a journey to work today but that didn’t give me the bug to scribble something down. What I had noticed about the white stuff was that it has managed to wrestle top spot on all the news agendas from the ever present ‘credit crunch’ saga. In fact I found myself sitting on my bottom step thinking who invented this term ‘credit crunch’. Was it said nonchalantly by an economist during a Channel 4 news interview? Or perhaps it was Nick Robinson the politics man for ITV (I’m sure he used to be on the BBC) who mentioned it one day in a broadcast. Or perhaps The Sun or The Mail paid someone to spend all day thinking of buzz words to encapsulate something so intricate and complicated that by saying the term everyone else will understand what they mean without knowing what they actually mean. If you know what I mean!

Have been ignoring television recently and I don’t know why. Seems like anything I want to watch is never on during a time I feel like watching television. Instead I have started to listen to some Radio 4. Some of it is boring (actually I find it hard to understand) but the good stuff is good. Currently I have been getting into listening to some Parliament show that’s on in the night. It’s just a recap of what happened in Parliament that day with clips of people debating with one another. I smirk every time I hear them say ‘My right honourable gentleman’ and then proceed to tear his/her argument apart by insinuating the party they belong to are nothing more than corrupt aristocrats who spend money at the same rate Jimmy Carr delivers controversial jokes. Still, I often find myself trying to put the faces to the voices and almost all the time there’s a vision of a fat balding man in a smart suit and if they are female it’s always a focussed power suited woman with intelligent eyes. I then sigh and realise that I truly have let my impressions be led by the ever enticing stereotype.

What I have been getting into recently are audio books. How I wished I discovered them earlier as this has become my favourite way to imbibe knowledge (by not actually concentrating and letting my subconscious do all the work). So far I have listened to the galvanising voice of Barack Obama talking about his experiences within the senate in The Audacity of Hope. Then there’s some narrator I have never heard of tell me the tale of A Tale of Two Cities. I have been listening to some Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix too. Ok, I’m not going to learn much from Harry Potter but it’s still entertaining. If you ever find yourself not sure what to bung on your iPod, go do a search for ‘audio books’ on iTunes and you’ll be in for a treat.

I’m going now, my tea bag has seemed to have dried up and want to wash it before it sticks to the base.

No comments: