Thursday 10 September 2009

World Cup ahoy!

I’m drinking four day old red wine at the moment, is it still ok to drink or am I going to be ill?

Anyway, I feel I should write this entry because I wrote about the failures of the England football team and the ‘wally with the brolly’ back in 2007. There is a piece of me that feels that had England qualified for Euro 2008 we may have escaped a recession (or at least soften its impact). My reasons being, firstly, people spend more on consumables when England qualifies. I am referring to alcohol, party and barbeque food. Money is constantly being pumped into the economy each week as the team progresses. The second reason is there is a good vibe around the place. And this vibe is what I have missed since Germany 2006.

So it is great that England are back at a major final, in fact the biggest sport competition in the world (yep, I even think it’s bigger than the Olympics). I’m looking forward for everyone to become obsessed with the World Cup. The training camps, what is eaten for breakfast and even the omens related to whether the home or away kit will be worn. The sun will be shining (hopefully) and every one will gather around in the streets to watch the matches (I wonder whether they’ll erect television screens up the City Centre like they did last time). What also heightens this anticipation is the fact that right now on the other side of the globe a Paddington’s Shadow doppelganger is currently feeling the same thing, apart from the Argentinean and French Paddington’s Shadows who are very worried as it seems their teams may not qualify.

Mixed up with all this eagerness, there is also some unfortunate realisation that there will be some d*cks out and about who have no qualms about trashing the place they are in because they disagree with a decision. Or go on a rampage against people who support a different team. The worst case I remember was watching on the news when Portugal had defeated England on penalties in Euro 2004 and a bunch of thugs gathered around a Portuguese pub (in Oxford, I think) and smashed the place to bits trying to get in. I am glad that it is a minority as those actions are pathetic.

The World Cup will rule the summer and I’m looking for 2010 and to see just how South Africa host the event and who will draw Brazil in the work’s sweepstake, still one thing is a bit of a downer on a personal level. Peru will definitely not be qualifying for the forthcoming tournament having lost to Venezuela 3-1 yesterday. They now are bottom of their qualifying group.

Right, I fancy listening to Guns ‘n Roses’ Welcome to the Jungle.

No comments: