Tuesday 16 February 2010

Pod in a coma

I’m pretty annoyed that my ipod is perishing before my eyes, well ears. My 5th generation video edition, the one where if you watch a video the battery drains in a couple of hours, is falling apart.

The problem is that sound does not come out of the left earphone. Originally I thought it was the earphones that had broken. I seem to break a set every few months or so, due mainly to tugging at them quite hard from my pocket when trying to get them out; only to find a big ball of tangled wires. Unfortunately, after buying a new pair of Sony headphones there was still no sound coming through the ear piece. I tired the earphones on my netbook and they worked fine. So I was stuck and annoyed because I only get to listen to things in a half-assed manner.
After some Googling I discovered that I have damaged the ear jack which seems simple enough to deal with. I’ll just buy a new one. That bit isn’t hard, the complex part is taking out the old one and installing a new one. Check out this video on how to do it.

Ok, I know you didn’t, so I’ll summarise. You need to know your stuff. I don’t. My options are to follow the instructions but unwittingly screw up my pod or get a new one. A new one would put my estate into disrepute, plus I don’t like just ditching things that aren’t fully broken. Yeah, the ipod touch would be nice and I could download apps ‘n stuff which would result me in being a more productive and efficient human being. But, although I admit I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing, I shall attempt to repair the pod using a screwdriver, a new earjack and a sprinkle of good fortune. I think I’ll also need a monocle (purely for image purposes, only) and a white jacket (Coldbrain, can I borrow yours if you still have one?)

I’m almost certain that I will break my ipod but at the same time I wish to undertake this technological procedure, just so I won’t feel so bad when I go onto Amazon and buy the new ipod touch, and because secretly I have a reason to act like Moss from the IT Crowd, if only for a few minutes...

1 comment:

Coldbrain said...

My 'science jacket', as a mutual friend once called it? Yeah, you can use it. Good luck with the repairs.