Thursday 8 April 2010

Yelland's Tale

I read this.




















This article made me stop and think about things for a little while.

I was intrigued to read that in order to fully operate functionally in his job, he had to be influenced by alcohol. He identified something I have long considered plausible, that the relationship between success and addiction is so so close. Could it be that the addict will strive to do anything in order to satisfy their addiction?  Skill, wit, cunning, deception, cheating, lying, determination are all part of the addict’s repertoire to get their fix and practicing them on a daily basis only makes it easier to transfer them to other means, such as a career. We all have the means to use some cunning now and then or lie, but I don’t think I could do it so well compared to someone who has focussed motivation. When people watching I sometimes try and find characteristics to try and work out what they really want. Not in the sense that they have a hidden agenda but maybe because they do not know themselves or are having trouble to express it. When I encounter those with addictive personalities they always seem to be able to influence me through some means of hi-jinx, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad but either way they are infectious individuals.

Yelland’s ambition to prove himself and reading that he had done it appealed to me. I liked that because I want to prove myself, don’t we all? Sometimes, I feel I’m getting closer and some days, I admit, I’m really decades away, but I love reading about people who have done it. It’s always interesting to discover their journey of how they got to the point in their lives where they’re now sitting in front of a keyboard, in Bournemouth, tapping away their tale.  

Everything seemed to change for him when he realised who his real parents were. All those years of training and conditioning the mind in a certain way fell by the wayside once he realised who he was. Turning against The Sun’s overall agenda in order to push his own personal one takes some serious balls in my opinion, slowly altering the newspaper’s stance to protect and help those whom he probably wouldn’t have had he not discovered who he was. I wonder when was the turning point in his life, was it during a sober moment in a cab back from the office or finding some poignant clarity when inebriated during a night out.  

This article blew me away and will probably only raise an eyebrow for you. I’m none the wiser why specifically but am more so generally. I just find this guy interesting, although it seems that although his addiction fuelled his career, where they worked in tandem to maintain it all, his alcoholism began killing the very thing that matters in life, the ones he loved.

It’s also a reminder to me that periodicals still very much have a place, despite what I thought a few months back. There’s no way I would have stumbled across this on the web.

No comments: