Tuesday 4 May 2010

End Credits


So, yesterday morning I completed the 5th draft of my novel. The idea which was born in June 2007 has been refined since November 2008. Each time I complete an edit I believe that this is the finished piece of work, but after the third one I realised this was a bit silly, because after a few months I go back and read everything with a fresh eye. It’s then I am able to spot the areas I need to improve on. 

At the moment I am quite happy with it. This particular version was focussed on trying to get rid of words that are not part of the storylines. I am partial to slapping on the descriptive text like someone slapping their make-up on for a Kiss concert. It’s brushed on thickly. So I have tried to review each sentence checking to see if it flows well in pace and that the reader isn’t being detracted by melodramatic descriptions. I still haven’t managed to record it and play it back to myself, mostly because I can’t stand my own voice. I guess the Paddington's Shadow audiobook will have to wait.

So is this the final edit? I don’t think so. Coldbrain recommended that I read On Writing by Stephen King so I bought it and have wanted to read it for ages now. I’m pretty sure after reading that book I’ll have loads of ideas. Or maybe I won’t.

I have created a blog http://odetothebrute.blogspot.com/ where I have upload my novel and I am looking for any feedback, good or bad as this will help me improve it further.

As for now, I’m going to finish off my bottle of Nastro Azzurro in peace.   

No comments: