Wednesday 11 July 2007

Avatars and Barbers


We all know that Groening et al realise The Simpsons is now as ingenious and comedic as the Eastenders cast performing a musical for Children In Need every year. So as one last attempt to sap the milky money from the teat of its Cash Cow they made a movie. In my opinion this is a clear indication that things are coming to an end. I do not care much for the movie as I’m sure it’s no motion picture masterpiece but I will see it out of curiosity. I just can’t get it out of my head that I’m about to experience a two hour episode without any adverts and nothing more. But that’s not really the reason I’m writing about them.

Someone sent me an e-mail the other day entitled ‘If you want to time waste click here’ so I did and was sent to the Simpsons website where you have the ability to create your own Simpson avatar. I spent the next ten minutes building myself to fit in the world of Springfield (My results are pictured on the right or above). Anyway, check it out if you want to see what you’d look like if they ever approach you for a guest appearance (which is plausible as they’re running out of people to get on there). But you’ll probably do what I did and get stressed because you can’t save it unless you register and then think bollox to that and go back sipping your coffee and checking your mails whilst getting some else to register.

http://www.simpsonsmovie.com/

That same day I was due to get my haircut so headed down town for my appointment. I’ve been growing some sort of baby mullet and been calling it ‘the mud flap’ for the last four months. I sort of liked the feeling of the back of my hair wrapping around behind my ears as reassurance that I’m not going bald. Or when I go running and then stop, my whole body comes to a jolting stand still whilst the mud flap flaps that extra second. It’s like a sort of extensional limb only it doesn’t conform entirely with what my brain tells it to do. One problem with having the mud flap is when walking out in general public, people would look at me and snigger, even though it was in its infancy it was still open to ridicule. However, I persisted with it as I liked it until one day I realised that this extenuation was gradually starting to dictate my life. I’d have to get up 10 minutes earlier each morning just to comb it so I would avoid an Amy Winehouse-esque look. When it came to washing my hair I only used to squeeze the bottle once and one dollop of shampoo was more than sufficient. With this sprouting I had to squeeze it once to do the front bit and then again to cleanse the mud flap from all the dirt and muck it seemed to collect during the day. I just couldn’t be fucked with it in the end, it had to go.

So now I’m sporting a hair cut you could set your watch by. Yep, short and chopped. I guess I have to accept long hair will never suit me (even though it wasn’t very long) because I’ve got an odd shaped head.

No comments: