Sunday 15 July 2007

I Should Check The Weather Forecast More Frequently


I hate trying to predict the weather. I don't want to as it's an element of nature and she herself is unpredictable. The only reason I do is like the majority of people you need to know what clothes to wear. Saturday, I put on jeans and a sweatshirt because it was cloudy in the morning. But by 11am it became so hot that I wanted to remove most of my clothes which wasn't very practical in B&Q.


So when Sunday came I woke up thinking today is going to be like Saturday, start off looking grey and then brighten up. So I don a pair of shorts and a vest and make my way to town. Instead I'm hit with torrential rain that catches me as I'm about to enter the city centre so that my clothes end up sticking to my skin while my arms are pink from the lashings of the rain and to top it off my Dunlop's squelched every time I took a step. Should really pay attention to weather forecasts more.

Anyway, I've styled some more prose.
*********************************
“The other fucking way is going to be difficult” he whispers to himself. The other way is to go through now and try and bring the two ladies together. However, the blond one is obscured behind the shelves and is actually closer to the fire exit than anyone else in the room. He could come through and try and terrify her into moving to the centre but she’d have a good chance of turning and running to the Fire Exit or through the other door. He’d then be forced either to shoot her or let her go. Both these endings would definitely end in turmoil for him. No, Yannish wasn’t going to risk this happening, he didn’t like that ultimatum. He sits back and tries to calm himself down by taking slow deep breaths. He’ll wait out a little longer until they get closer to each other and so sits back and waits.

His eyes spring open and his neck jerks up like a Meer cat peering out over from the ground in a David Attenborough documentary. The other door on the other side of the room begins to open. Yannish quickly gets up from his position and immediately goes to turn the handle down to see out the other side but decides not to straight away instead he carefully lays his body and head against the door thrusting his ear to the wood attempting to hear everything.

“How’s it going Hayley?” Comes a male voice.

“Hmm, bit of a bitch I’ve got to do this stock take on these shoes before we close tonight, it’s a bloody nightmare because I was only told about it about a half hour ago. Now I’m stuck out back in this bloody sauna and having to listen to Kirsty recounting every moment of her night out and how she got so lashed she couldn’t remember half of it. However, she seems to be doing a pretty good job at doing it! Stay clear of the kitchen area if you don’t want to get caught in a ten minute conversation about falling over and kissing various things.”

“Thanks for letting me know, but I gotta go that way. I’ll just walk past her and ignore her, I know it’s rude but I can’t be fucked to listen to other people’s tales which are probably made up anyway.”

“How long is this man going to be in here?” Thinks Yannish. His undesired scenario was unfolding before him and he really didn’t know what to do other than open the door and try and see who it was that was out there. The situation is really getting to him now, the nervousness is creeping around him sucking out all the breath he has and making him agitated more than ever. He has to see who’s behind the door now. Even if the guy walks out, he may return when Yannish has exposed himself onto his stage. He needs to know if it was someone that could cause him problems or even worse someone who could be a hero. The door is nudged open once more so that his right eye can see out. He sees, a tall young man of Indian-Asian origin. His face is covered with stubble, not thickly spread but it surrounds all around his chin. His eyes, although not facing Yannish are wide, almost bulging with eagerness but are being contained by the high cheek bones. Large rimmed earrings encircle both his earlobes and slightly sparkle against the lightening. This guy is big, not muscular but large framed and looking like he contains enough power to tackle Yannish.

“Uh huh, ok, that sounds very boring.”

“Don’t walk away from me Dev I’m trying to tell you something.”

Dev turns away and then spins back to face the kitchen area again. His body already set to spin off in the opposite direction while his head uses itself as an anchor restraining himself from moving off.

“I was going to tell you about last night, we had a great time. You should of come. Why…”

“…I couldn’t be arsed and Hayley told me a condensed version a few mins ago. I need to go.”

Yannish feels the relief spread over him as he hears of Dev’s imminent farewell. Although the guy is large and powerful he does seem to be unable to completely drag himself away from the beckoning story telling of Kirsty. Either way, he knows his gamble didn’t pay off and the thought of even more people entering this room, Yannish’s stage, only plunges him further into confusion. His mind is set, as soon as Dev leaves he’ll do what he has to do. He can only watch now like a member of the audience waiting for the scene to end.

“Hayley’s a bitch, she’s just jealous because she couldn’t afford to come out so she’s just talking behind my back. I can’t stand talking to her, she’s always quiet and just nods and laughs when it thinks it’ll please me. Stupid cow.”

“Don’t call Hayley a bitch or a cow. Maybe she just didn’t want to go out last night with you and all your mates. You got some serious issues to call some one a bitch and a cow so quickly. Maybe if you let her speak instead of talking at her you might actually think she is a sound girl, instead of mouthing off to me she’s a bitch and cow.”

A small shriek can be heard from the kitchen and then the appearance of the green mug comes into Yannish’s view stuttering through the air towards Dev who raises his hands firstly to cover his face but as he realises that the mug isn’t actually going at a fast pace to hurt him twists his writs out to open his hands where the mug lands almost gently into his palms. Dev looks down at the mug and then places it on the floor and looks up again towards the direction of where it came from.

“What the hell was that for you nut case? I was only telling you not to call Hayley a bitch and you launch a cup at me. I’m just lucky it wasn’t full of boiling coffee or some other crap you drink.”

“I’m, I’m, I’m sorry…”

“…To right you should be sorry, that could’ve smacked me in the eye or something, then you’d be sorry.”

“Shit” thinks Yannish, he’s turning into a fucking hero. The comedic element of the expletive only lasts a moment as the seriousness settles in that this was exactly the person he didn’t want to confront. Someone he actually might like.

No comments: