Tuesday 16 October 2007

Graphics and Rain




The designer at my work has made a cool graphic of me which resembles the design of a Blur album cover and also what they use on the Friday Night Project. I really like this style of design, simplistic yet effective in resemblance. I’m going to attempt to use it as my Blogger profile photo but at the moment there are a few technical glitches.

In other news, it’s absolutely tipping it down with rain today and I got soaked. I knew it was folly to try and walk to the shops without getting ‘too’ wet but I was hungry and needed something for my lunch so I started to make the perilous journey. Within seconds my brown trousers were drenched, so much so, that they acquired a glossy tint from all the rain the material had soaked in. I did have on a rain jacket to protect my top half but the rain seemed to find a way through the gaps and trickle down my neck making me shiver constantly. I bought some lunch but upon my return I was not happy, squelching as I entered the building.

I want some sun.


I have done some more creative writing for you to take a look at your leisure.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


It was a sunny Wednesday day, around 10:30 in the morning. Yannish makes his journey to get the morning newspaper. He always enjoyed doing this, no matter what kind of weather it was or what he’d got up to the previous night he would trudge out as soon as he got out of bed. If he wasn’t staying at his flat and was somewhere else he’d make his way to the local news agents regardless to buy the paper and find a park or a bench in a quiet area and immerse himself. He enjoyed the fresh air as he read the headlines. Last night still beamed in his mind as he closed his flat door, making sure he did it quietly so not to wake up Tommy. He pulled up his jogging pants until they rested in a comfortable position and then set off. Yesterday evening was spent with Karen. He’d met up with her around 6 in the evening and went out for a few drinks at the Shepard’s Arms. He remembered the amount of times he kept losing himself in her eyes that he had to keep shaking his head to concentrate on the conversation they were having.

“Do you have any idea of what you want to be?” She said gazing at him while he tried hard to carefully listen to the words and not drift off again.

“What I’ll be? Like a Job?”

“Yes, well to begin with.”

“I don’t know. I don’t really know what I’ll be.”

Karen starts to laugh, her hair falling forward as she leans forward.

“Surely you know what you want to be. I want to be a journalist, I want to investigate, and so everything I do is striving for that. You can see that I’m aiming that way with my job at the paper. But you, I can’t see you going for anything, is there anything that inspires you? You’re a clever person, really clever but yet it seems you’re not focussing in on anything, well it’s not obvious anyway. ”

Yannish smiles, reaches his hand into his jacket pocket and pulls out his rolling tobacco and papers. He lays them carefully on the table licks the tip of his index fingers and pulls out a sheet of paper. He raises his eyes up to her.

“I hear what you’re saying. But the truth is I don’t know what I want to be. Clever I may be considered but I know I’ll never be something like an accountant. I haven’t really thought about it and I don’t think tonight is when I know what I’ll be. It’s obvious you want to be a journalist, and I really admire your drive to get there. You’re sticking your neck out for everything and anything you can get involved in with the journalism world. But for some reason, I don’t have this passion and energy for one particular thing. I know I don’t want to work in a garage for the next 25 years and in fact I refuse to contemplate that thought. But right now I just want to, I just want to finish rolling this cigarette without my head falling off with the weight of all these heavy decisions I’m going to have to make.

She laughs again and pushes him which scuppers his attempt to roll his cigarette as it slides off the edge of the table on to his foot. He now starts laughing and takes a big swig of his beer to quell the rising giggles. He rests the empty glass back down. She looks at him and they are both smiling.

“Come on lets go for a walk. This place seems to be getting rowdier by the minute.”

“Alright, let me finish up. But you should think about it you know.”

“Think about what?”

“About what you want to be” She tells him before taking the last sips of her drink.

They get up and make their way out of the pub. The evening was very tranquil with a cool air circulating round. Yannish thought about putting on his jacket but instead wrapped it round his waist.
“I know where I don’t want to work. I don’t want to work in the car factory where everyone seems to be going these days. I don’t want to work in law, I don’t want to work in retail, and I don’t fancy being someone that cold calls people.”

“Well you’ve eliminated about four things and there’s about a billion more. You’ve got to pick one.”

He leans over and kisses her before she can speak again.

Yannish remembers that part of last night well. It stands out form all the other things. What will he be? He looks at Randolph’s Mart and straight away decides he never wants to own a small convenience store. The constant battle with vandals would surely send him to an early grave or into a cynical paranoid fool at worst. He enters and nods at Mr Randolph who is perched on his tall thin stool behind his cash register. Mr Randolph nods back sinking his neck into his large girth. Yannish picks up the paper and a chocolate bar and rests them on the counter and digs into his pockets to pull out all the change he has.

“£2.40 please.” Comes the gruff voice of Mr Randolph.

Yannish carefully picks out the right coins to total that amount pays him by slapping them all into the palm of his hand and leaves. On his way back he thinks about what Karen said to him last night, about knowing what he wanted to be. He didn’t have a clue and he didn’t really care at the moment but he was touched by her. He was touched that she cared about him. She wasn’t pushing him to make a decision for her benefit she wanted him to make one for his own. He realises that she cares for him.

“She cares for me. How can she care for me if she stole from me? How can she do this?”

3 comments:

asdf said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Opie

Paddington's Shadow said...

Julian Opie's styles rock. Sometimes I wish I look like that image.

About me said...

You have been challanged! ;) Now check out my blog to see exactly what it is I mean ^_^