Sunday 17 August 2008

Wener

It was my last blog entry that sparked the interest of the Britpop epoch. A comment that mentioned the band Menswear had me thinking back about the bands that had only relative success during that time. Elastica, Bluetones, Nothern Uproar all spring to my mind but it was the band Sleeper who I had forgotten about. Their music rang vaguely in my mind as I tried to dredge up the memories of that hedonistic era of Adidas Campus trainers coupled with black rimmed glasses but it was the lead singer that was the most notable part of the band. I could not remember her name but recalled she had a short brown bobbed hair and it tormented me. It was like an itch that would not go away, and at various times of the week I would try to think of her name and the band she was from. It was not until I spoke to my pal Coldbrain that he told me it was Sleeper and Louise Wener was the lead singer. As soon as I heard her name it all came rushing back. The surname used to make my chuckle because of its colloquial American connotations of being a sausage. I still could not remember any songs but the small release of nostalgia had me suitably content. That was until he told me she had become an author. My ears pricked up and the curiosity ran rife inside me, apparently she is quite good.

The next day I went onto Amazon and did a search on her name, it was true she is an author. She has written three books, The Perfect Play, Goodnight Steve McQueen and The Half Life of Stars. Eager to learn more I started to read each synopsis of each book before taking the plunge and deciding on Goodnight Steve McQueen. I’ll probably have to wait till Thursday before it arrives which is fine for me because that gives me time to finish my current tome. I will let you know if her book is any good.

In other news, I’m heading towards the end of my Spanish course and I cannot wait. It feels like a weight around my neck regulating how I feel about the day. When I finish work, in theory I should be hitting the books but no one wants to work during the day just to get home and work during the night and in fact I have been flagging greatly of late. Soon it will be all over though and I can continue to learn at my own pace and feel free from obligation.

1 comment:

sazzalish said...

I've only just read you're last two entries and had to laugh as I myself will be 'Disco(ing) Down' to Shed 7 at some point in the near future (if my friend did go ahead with her threat to purchase me tickets).

Also, in 'Wener' being a funny name related news I have been unable to stop finding the fact that they call Vienna 'Wien' funny. I am 7 years old.