Monday 25 August 2008

Sleep Remedy

I find it quite difficult to fall asleep, it's probably my own fault because I cannot settle. I go to bed but need to watch television for a bit even if it's utter rubbish, although I can never watch the late night bingo. That truly would signal the death of my charisma. I then spend about an hour tossing and turning until I decide to turn on the radio. Sometimes that sends me to sleep straight away but lately that has not worked and I find myself listening to repeats of the shipping forecasts! I am not too keen to gulping various over the counter narcotics so I have been drinking a glass of red wine instead. This chills me out, relaxes me after a pretty rough day at the orifice and generally get's the creative juices flowing. So every evening around nine I go and pour myself a glass and sit back relax and watch either Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Family Guy, Heroes or of course The Mighty Boosh ( I have these all on DVD and not on Sky +). Doing this over a period of time, only broken when I go out, means that I have tried a few wines now and although cannot claim to have a cultured pallet I have by polishing bottle after bottle can claim to know which wine makes you the most sleepy (well for me). No, I have not spent months swishing it around my mouth like that lady used to do on BBC 2 in the nineties. Instead it was more of a case of me traipsing around the aisles in Tescos pointing at a bottle and remembering that I had already tried that one, then by some stretch of the imagination I recall it's affect on me. Soon I found myself standing in front of the red wine section able to select the one that would send me into a drowsy state quicker than the others. So the wine that manages to send me to sleep the quickest is some Australian wine called Rosemount Estate Shiraz which you can pick up in your local Spar, Co-op, Sainos or Tescos. Do check it out if you have trouble heading to dreamland it's completely sorted me out. Perhaps drinking one of those really cheap high percentage beers would do a better job but I don't want liver damage and touching something like Super Tennants is the first sign of your life ending. Plus, I like to enjoy the taste of what I drink and down something that resembles the taste of ear wax.

In other news, I'm loving the new football season starting. It has been a painful summer watching the Euro 2008 but now the Premier League has started and all the buzz has come back, especially on a Saturday afternoon. Hopefully Torres will turn on the style again this season and deliver the goods. He better do, he's in my dream team!

No comments: