Saturday 20 June 2009

The Quentin Thomas Effect

Some of you probably know who he already is; I didn’t, although I should as I’ve seen his name at least seventy times.

I was sitting in the Slug ‘n Lettuce today, sipping on Peroni, when I started to think about how much nothing has happened this year. It just seems to be plodding by. I took another sip, and thought that perhaps this was actually true. This year, I’ve not really done anything other than attend work, do work, go off on holiday for a bit and then return. Nothing has changed, compared to 2008, and perhaps that was just a continuation of how things were in 2007.

Air, came on in the pub, and I sat back, thinking, that truly nothing has moved on. It didn’t make me glum, but I thought the purpose of living was to advance? Well, maybe that isn’t exactly true because, for some people, it is literally to try and stay alive. It still though rested uncomfortably with me. All around looked and felt the same. Even the blaring of Kelly Rock the Stars had me thinking that there was a possibility that it was even the same when that tune was first heard by my ears. My Peroni was now half empty.

I sniffed and thought about it a bit more. In fact I started spinning the pepper pot in front of me when I decided that this year has been a bit of a blur. Wasn’t it snowing the other month (February)? Then, it dawned that things had changed, I have. I’ve managed to save up some cash money to put my estate into some sort of order instead of being in disrepute. I’m more confident in my job now having grown into it. I generally feel a bit more stable. I have carved out a path using the sabre of determination and it’s there in front of me should I want to start running that way (I always run and never walk). Even in my appearance I’ve changed, I’ve developed red eye due to a bad contact lens (everyone now thinks I’m stoner).

I should explain who Quentin Thomas is, in case you don’t know, (Coldbrain, I wonder if you got it straight away?). Quentin Thomas is the president of the BBFC and issues the age ratings for all films that are screened in the UK. Quentin’s name always appears just before you see a film in the cinema. No shit, he’s always there. It’s always the same black background with a shaky signature informing the viewer he’s approved this film rating.

And for every film I’ve seen ranging from Gremlins 2: The new Batch to Angels & Demons I had never realised, never really ‘looked’ just like I had not realised I’ve grown, altered morphed into something different than last year, but because I stare in the mirror every morning with a Mac 4 in one hand, I’m oblivious to it. It’s these little alterations in life that contribute to something but I don’t notice because I forget, can’t be arsed or am too scared to, but they are always there. I see the clear base of the glass as I take a large swig of Peroni. To me, this is the Quentin Thomas effect. Not noticing the little things even though they are there to be clearly seen.

Sitting in the Slug ‘n Lettuce made me realise actually spending time to think about yourself and where you are going, is a good thing, isn’t it? I mean, I will carry on living regardless but highlighting major fuckups and learning from them is a pretty good way of avoiding them the next time. Also, you don’t feel like nothing has changed whereas the surroundings remain the same.

I finished my Peroni.

1 comment:

asdf said...

His IMDB credit list must be *huge*.

Attention to detail is a skill most people (erroneously) think they have. But it is far too easy to tune out the insignificant or the familiar.