Tuesday 30 June 2009

Goodbye Sasquatch

He’ll never read this because he’s pretty lazy and he’s still finishing chapter 2 of Back to the Future: A Novel (he started last millennium). However, I feel compelled to write this. For today Sasquatch, my pal, has left the British Isles to seek adventure around the other side of the world.

This is a huge achievement, actually planning, funding and going through with buying a plane ticket for a round the world trip. He’s talked about it before, in fact incessantly, but doing it is something different. Totally. He’s off to Thailand, Oz, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii, then finishing in the US of A.

Relatively prepared he’s about to embark on this crazy journey of seeing different cultures, experiencing new cuisines, meeting different people who live life in a totally different way, he’s going to love it.

I’ve got a lot of admiration for what he has already done, and wish him all the best. I wish I could do what he is doing, but at this moment in time, I cannot. Odd thing is, I don’t think I’ll see Sasquatch for a long, long time. The travelling vibe suits his aura and I think he’ll stay in Oz for many years, in fact maybe even permanently. I’ll be checking out Neighbours now and then just to see if some guy, who looks like Jonny Rico’s bleached blonde friend from Starship Troopers, walks on and says, ‘alright geese, where’s Daphne?’


Good luck Sasquatch, and well done for actually going through with it.

No comments: