Tuesday 3 November 2009

“Lynn, you’re just like a little mouse”

This is exactly how I was feeling upon thinking about my return to work. I find coming back to work after an extended break difficult to handle. It’s not just the fact you have been away enjoying yourself and devoid from all your daily responsibilities and had been left with only two, ‘where are we going to sleep tonight?’, and ‘shall we eat here?’

My temperament can handle this quite well. What it struggles with is the unknown, what mess did I leave behind? Or whether things have moved on so much that I’ll never be able to hop back onto the conveyor belt of daily life duties and that I’ll have to find another one. Thinking about it now, when I was younger, I was the same at school, if I had been away longer than 3 weeks or after the 6 weeks holiday, I’d get all nervous because I was anxious about not knowing what was going to happen in the near future.

So before my legs went all wobbly and I began stammering as much as Professor Quirrell, I thought about why I feel like this and realised that I strive continuity and that change causes this immediate review of, ‘why is it changing?’, to run through my mind. So I decided to play on this uncertainty coupled with anxiety and see what I could find by thinking of the worst case scenario that could unravel in front of my bleary red eyes.

I decided that it would be for everyone to shake their heads whilst closing their eyes in disapproval, nay, pity, before being told that I was to collect my stuff and go. For a moment I thought this terrible, utter disaster. It was only after I started to picture this in my mind that I began to actually realise that should it ever happen, it would not be necessarily the worst thing, it would only mean that that chapter had ended. And the most important thing is not to think about going in on Monday with an aura of trepidation.

So I walked into the office the next day and attempted to take everything in my stride. However, then I heard this, then, hit replay about 8 times until I concluded, “sh*t happens, and if it all goes wrong, go to New York, ok, may just York then.”

In other news, I am really pleased to write about the return of Coldbrain to blogging. Alas, Coldbrain was the person who got me into scrawling my thoughts on Blogger so I am indebted to him for introducing me to this medium. I have missed his enlightening approach to topics and his tone of writing ever since MrColdbrain was closed down, well actually, his Lewis Hamilton joke entry was a significant turning point on the quality of that blog. However, he has now returned here on Tumblr.

Is it me, or is Tumblr and Wordpress light-years ahead of Blogspot in templates, accessibility and just about everything, it seems? I’m hoping Blogger is going to step-up or it could become the new MySpace.

P.S. the title of this blog is from an Alan Partridge qoute, I've been trying to find the exact scene on YouTube but it evades me.

1 comment:

Coldbrain said...

I can't say I've ever really had an extended break from my working life, but I can appreciate the similarity there must be with that and returning from a summer holiday. Although I can't imagine you returned to the workplace to find anyone had grown 6 inches while you were away.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. For me, it's horses for courses - with Blogger you get some decent features and the feeling that Google might do some more nice updates once they've finished tinkering with everything else they have their pies in. It's easy to use but I think the templates could be modernised a bit (although I've not looked at any new ones for many moons).

Wordpress could be a bit fiddly unless you know what you're doing, but you can do lots of great things with it courtesy of the open development platform. Some nice rich templates too.

Tumblr is what it is - almost a hybrid between Twitter and a more fully-featured blogging platform. There's no native support for comments, for instance. But I like it because I can post photos, links, videos etc and not worry about having completed a 'wordier' post. Maybe I'll get round to producing these in a bit... need to put my game face on. There's lots of lovely people on Tumblr at the moment too.

Agreed, Lewis is where the rot set in. Still think he's the epitome of smugness, though.