Tuesday 10 November 2009

Viral Woes

Last week I was browsing the BBC website whilst listening to Jamie T on YouTube. All was as should be until I tried to click to the next page when suddenly my netbook screen flickered and all of a sudden it went black and restarted. Upon boot-up my background picture had disappeared and I was left with a white one. That’s odd, I thought before right-clicking to change my picture back. The little pop-up appeared and I noticed that my option to change had been greyed out. In fact I could see another icon within the list entitled, ‘critical warning’.

Slightly concerned about what was happening I logged on to interweb only to find that my default home page had changed to some 8888.com advert. Something was up, something malicious and annoying. I quickly loaded up AVG and it briefly appeared before shutting itself down again. What? I thought, and tried again. It happened again. This time I changed tact and went launch it from Run on the taskbar. It had disappeared. I then tried my last line of defence before admitting I’d been well and truly shafted. I pressed the Windows key + R and got a message telling me that function had been disabled by the administrator. I’m the administrator, aren’t I?

Apparently not, this little monkey of a virus had taken over my computer. I even tried to reach the Spybot website only to be redirected to some saucy livecam with some hot chick. Although, briefly a welcome distraction, the fact my netbook had been compromised brought me back to rainy reality. My only option was to try and reformat the hard drive. One issue, I would sacrifice all the scrawls I’d accumulated since January.

Swallowing acceptance like I was drinking egg yolk full of nettles (the ones that hurt and require a doc leaf which never works) I tried to reformat the whole thing but stumbled at the first hurdle. This thing doesn’t have a CD-Rom drive and I don’t have an operating system on a flash pen just hanging about. I sighed, and went to listen to some music, half annoyed about been taunted by a cyber bug and half annoyed I was annoyed at the whole thing.

On Monday I decided to take in the ‘puter to work and ask nicely to IT for advice. They were good and gave me some but nothing worked. I was beaten, that was until someone completely unrelated to IT, in fact hates IT, said, ‘why you so vexed?’, to which I replied, ‘My lil’ ‘puter is ruined by a virus and the only way to fix it is to reformat the hard drive but I ain’t got XP’.

‘Yeah I had that problem, you need to find the recovery key and then I suggest you download Windows 7 it's really good, and it’s only £30 because we get some employee discount or something’.

‘what?’ and then I thought, how does he know this stuff?
‘The recovery key is either f2 or f4, try it out when you have a moment, see ya.’

First thing I did was try and find out whether Windows 7 was available on the cheap. It was. Buoyed by this revelation I turned on the netbook and pressed ‘f4’ as soon as it turned on. There was a whirring noise followed by some blue screen flickering until a page finally loaded up saying ‘Welcome to Samsung recovery’.

So now I’ve got the netbook in working order and have pimped it up with windows 7. I am happy again.

In other news, I have terminated my Twitter account after only having opened it 3 months ago. I just canny not be bothered with it any longer.

1 comment:

Coldbrain said...

If you want to back up small numbers of files/folders, but don't need or want a full system backup, try Dropbox. I use it a lot for quickly moving and updating files between my Mac, PC and iPhone but it'd be good for holding onto your scrawls in the cloud, as they say.

Every day I think about quitting Twitter. Every day.