Monday 15 March 2010

Prospects

These last few days have been ones I love. It’s the transitional period where winter finally diminishes and spring begins to sprout. Saturday and especially today were glorious outside from the moment I woke up and stared out of the window. Yet, upon stepping outside to buy some milk I realised that I’d better go back in and get my hat and gloves because it was still effing freezing.

When the sun starts to rise earlier in the morning and there’s a bright glaze at 07:40 it makes me think about what’s around the corner in the following months because winter is finally ebbing away. It feels good coming home now and it’s not pitch black. Now it’s only just past dusky but every day it’s getting darker later and later.

When these bright but brisk days occur I see it as a sign that sunnier warmer days will be here soon (ok, so will grey clouds and rain) and it feels me with optimism about everything that’s going to happen in 2010. My steps along the path to the shop quicken, as I think that something good will happen to me this year. Not that I deserve it but I just feel like these next seven months will be sunny days where everyone will be having barbeques, people will be out mingling in the sun complaining just how hot it is, the nation will be on this fantastic vibe as it’s a world cup year, and somewhere amongst all that I’ll be really happy about something. I don’t if it will be because of an accomplishment or because of luck, but these are the sort of thoughts that run through my head at 07:45 on a Sunday morning when it’s all quiet outside and it’s just me alone kicking a stone along the redway and thinking things through.

I’m fully aware with myself that I get these feelings each year, and as yet, I don’t think that I’ve had an ultra lucky streak which would make even a leprechaun jealous or that anything I’d done was actually worth talking about. What I kind of like more is not the hope of any of these things happening but the feeling of knowing they might, and I’m happy with that for the time being because these things are out of my control and plus it’s always good to ponder favourably on the future, otherwise you just end up being a grump.

So, when I finally came down from my high of breathing in the fresh morning air, and admiring the horizon lit up by the sun, I got to the shops and realised I’d forgotten my wallet!

No comments: