Monday 16 August 2010

Crossroads

Every once in a while I’m confronted with a decision to choose something over another. Akin to me standing in a Tescos Express for two minutes debating whether I want a Snickers or a Mars, I stared at the computer screen thinking should I take this opportunity or stick with what I know.

I hate these types of decisions, because everything has ramifications and as a result even not doing anything means I would be doing something. So whilst sipping some green tea I began writing down what could possibly happen if I took up this opportunity. It seemed that not much would change other than my financial situation and my stress levels, which potentially could be tolerable or would send me into some morbid state where all my hair drops off and my eyes grow bags bigger than an Asda bag for life (which is surprisingly large).

I still did not know what to do, so I sought advice from a few people. Each piece of advice was good but it was conflicting, one would say I should take the opportunity, whilst another felt it was best to let this ship sail, while another thought of combining the two. All three were clearly succinct and persuasive which meant I was stuck, because I felt no nearer as to whether I should do something about it or not.

And then I remembered, maybe I should just ask myself, and see how I feel about the opportunity inside. My initial reaction was that it didn’t feel right. Was it just nerves, and that’s why it didn’t feel right? This was plausible but that wasn’t the reason, there was just this feeling that it wasn’t correct for me, and that’s what I decided, to go with my instincts and stop playing about in my head about the ‘what ifs’ or the ‘why nots’ because it was eating away at me.

And so after two weeks, I let the opportunity float by and almost immediately I felt better and lighter. In fact it has made me more motivated for some reason, I don’t know entirely why but I’m not going to try and stifle it because I have been finding a lot of energy of late, rather than just relying in coffee to keep my energy levels up.

Yet, something tells me if I had heard this earlier, everything would have fallen into place sooner. 

And here’s also another episode of Alfalfa’s Premiership Show.


4 comments:

Coldbrain said...

Gut instinct counts for a lot. The key is to then attempt to prove or disprove it. I think by doing this you learn to refine and trust your first instincts.

Also, Snickers.

Paddington's Shadow said...

Yeah, I definitely need to trust my instincts more. It was two weeks of constant fretting which in the end wasn't needed.

sazzalish said...

So if I'm in a quandry I just have to ask myself 'what would blazing squad do?' and all will be solved.

That is what I've taken away from todays P.S. blog.

Paddington's Shadow said...

Hey Sazz, good to hear from you.

I'm certain Blazin' Squad would ensure I put on a baggy shirt, a chain of some sort, push my hair forward with Superdrug gel and sway my arms to the beat. Then, out of no where an epiphany will fall into my head which I can only convey through expressive dance. It's the Blazin' way...