Tuesday 24 August 2010

iPhone Woes

So, I’ve been looking to get an iPhone 4 since it’s been out but it has been almost impossible for me to get one from Apple. Aside from venturing into their shop and annoying them every other day with ‘Have you got the 16gb iPhone 4 in stock?’ To which their eyes tell me, ‘c’mon you know they sell out as soon as they come in’, but they politely tell me, ‘that they’d just run out of stock but I should keep trying’.

So yesterday, I did. I gave them a call.

Me: ‘ Morning, by any chance do you have the 16gb iPhone 4 in stock?’

Nice lady: ‘You know, we just got a small batch in this morning.’

Silence

At this point I realise it’s a race against time knowing that Apple do not hold products back for customers and that I was now in a race with more determined iPhone shoppers who had rung up at the crack of dawn, or in fact installed a webcam in the shop to check when delivery had arrived. Then there were the nonchalant shoppers ambling past the Apple store, wondering on the off chance if they had the iPhone in stock.

Me: “Excellent, I’ll be down in about 10 minutes, do you reckon they’d be sold out by then?”

Nice lady: “Well, I don’t think so but if we get a sudden surge of peeps then it could happen”

Me: “Ok, thanks. I’m on my way.”

And so I did, I grabbed my car keys and zoomed off. I parked as close as I could and got out jogging to the shop with thoughts of finally being able to install an ‘app’ and actually using a touch screen for the first time.

As a came around the corner I spied someone walking out of the Apple store with what looked like two iPhone boxes inside the near translucent bag. I bit my lip thinking, surely, he didn’t just walk out with the last two phones?.

I caught the attention of the first employee I could see and quickly spewed out that I called and was told that there are some 16gb iPhones in stock.

Worker: “Sorry man, we just sold out of the 16gb.”

I thought back to the guy who walked out with what seemed to be two iPhone boxes.

Me: “Pants.”

I was about to tell him how quickly I got down here, and how long I’ve been waiting to get one, but unfortunately he couldn’t help me even if he wanted to, so I held back.

Worker: “We’ve got the 32gb in stock though.”

Me: “I can’t afford it, thanks anyway.”

And I turned around and walked out iPhoneless and with a blister on my left foot.

I drove onto work and on my lunch break I decided to order one directly from Apple online as I just couldn’t be bothered to go through all that again. Only problem, it’s estimated time of delivery is 15 September. A new model will be out by then!

In other news, a Paddington’s Shadow production, presented by Tales of Epoch gives you another episode of Alfalfa’s Premiership Show.

Listen!

No comments: