Monday 17 March 2008

Magic

Now I’m not talking about the black/white or voodoo magic that occurs and what I know nothing about and I’m terrified yet curious of. No, the magic I mean is the one that’s common but also rare. Firstly when walking along, minding your own business in life, your thought pattern ambling along with today’s chores and entertainment when suddenly, a ripple. The spark. It’s tiny, even miniscule. An idea conjured from experience, timing, aptitude, luck even determination flickers in your head. Some of us quickly write it down, some smile and nod at the same time knowing they’re on to something. Others may get scared, unsure what implications it will have. And others, they just feel slightly embarrassed by it, they know it’s a great idea, something worth pursuing but it’s the 50th one of the week and none have been acted on so far.

Yet that still isn’t magic. The spark needs to be nurtured, requires a dose of rational thought but most of all it requires guts, sheer confidence that the idea is worth following through and pushing things over in order to turn the idea into reality. It is possible you may think I’ve experienced magic. I, unfortunately never have but I have seen it. It was seeing someone who just one day had an idea, they thought it was great, I thought it sounded rubbish and told him so. In fact others did too. Yet he carried on and followed it until one day the idea blossomed into something astounding. I could only look in awe. His idea brought him financial reward attracted many dignitaries seeking advice and collaboration. Now to me that’s magic, something that started from absolutely nothing to end up being a thriving product that spawns a mini economy and which enables him to slap Mr Marx across the backside as he rips a hole in the lower part of the Status Quo and calmly walks through onto the higher tier where a cigar and brandy is waiting.

What I do experience is random ideas popping into my head. All of them sound absurd but yet they all bring a smile to my face. Those that know me will notice that my lips occasionally curl up, when they do it’s another idea sliding its way into consciousness. None of these ideas are acted on, I sort of feel a waster for them. I can’t say they’re great ideas because none of them have been executed then judged if successful. What’s successful anyway? Bringing loads of money or spinning of the Maslow tip, ‘self actualisation’? All I tend to do is slightly smirk then label the idea and store it in the back of my mind to be acted on ‘when I’ve got more time’. I know I’m not the only one here, we all get these ideas. The next time you do get one and think it’s actually quite good, go for it. Seriously if it ever comes off it’ll be fucking amazing and then you can tell me about and I’ll probably write a further paragraph after this one.

No comments: