Monday 10 March 2008

Time Intensity

Is it me or is 2008 whizzing past as quickly as Dwain Chambers running not on drugs? We’ve already completed a quarter of the year already and yet that groggy feeling I had on New Year’s Day is still fresh in my mind. Why is it going so fast? Well in my opinion work dominates the most important hours of the day, the ones where you’re most productive, rasping with new ideas, new dreams and things to accomplish for the day. However the hours are filled with meetings, general chit-chat with people you don’t really know, general chit-chat with people you do know, time spent reading emails, time spent carefully writing emails, chasing people for work, being chased for work. It’s no wonder things go so fast, the day is full of this apart from this tiny window of opportunity during lunch time that you can take a breath and just chill. Yet these things that we want to do and want to accomplish are still there, it’s just they get pushed further back because of the stuff mentioned above. And eventually they’re shoved so far back that they move from forefront to the subconscious department where it’s vaulted. To only brought back out when something reminds you of that idea or objective. For example, having completed another day at the office on Friday I headed off into town and decided to purchase some DVDs. I was in Zavvi when I heard Shed 7’s Chasing Rainbows when reading the synopsis of Run Fat Boy Run. As soon as the symbol taps kicked in I knew what it was straight away. I felt myself rocking, thinking how good this song was, in fact it reminded me of the time when I said to myself I’d move to New York. I had this track on my Sony Discman whilst walking back from the shops having bought Mojo and reading an article about the music scene in NY. The idea sounded so strange in the present though. I couldn’t believe I used to think like that and for a moment I sort of realised that I didn’t know who I was. Yet, when thinking it over again and again, it is something I’d love to do. It’s just that I forgot about it because my mind was occupied with something else. Sure there are other factors like money, nerve and opportunity to take into account if I ever were serious to go there but still this was one of thousands of things that run through my head but because of daily routine they just disappear. I don’t think I’d ever end up in the Big Apple but I’d still like to do the things I think, even the little ones, like spend a day in a coffee shop reading Sophie’s World then pop over to the library and read up on all those philosophers she discovers. One of the reasons I look in awe at someone who do something that they love for a living is the fact their ideas are tied to their livelihood and opportunity to fulfil those are theirs to waste. I don’t think my boss would be too happy if I phoned in sick for 6 months to prat about. Whereas I feel that time sneaks up on me and every year things seem to happen a little faster. I don’t dislike what I do or who I am, in fact I quite like my strut and outlook on life. But I guess I wish I could do more ‘cool stuff’.

No prose. I did do this though

2 comments:

sazzalish said...

You do a mean crimp sir. Can't help but feel it would be improved by a 'shabba' shout out at the end though...

Paddington's Shadow said...

...maybe next time. Mr Loverman came knocking on my door and told me to stop mocking his name, so I've put it on ice for the time being.