Monday 27 October 2008

Bling Bling

I’ve come to realise that gold jewellery looks crap on me. There is no way getting around it. Gold does not suit my skin tone and when I don a chain or ring I look nothing more than a narcotics pusher trying to peddle aspirin in the guise of amphetamine. Still at least I know gold does not suit me so keep away from purchasing those huge link chains that look thick enough to be a bike lock. I can only imagine what I would look like walking down the street wearing Elizabeth Dukes’ latest range chatting people whilst parts of me twinkles against the light, what a fool I would look. In fact it is probably a good thing that I am not that bothered with male jewellery in general. There are no hours wasted perusing the Argos catalogue for annulates with ‘ICE’ etched on them with fake diamonds that resemble Rice Crispies. Instead I am happy with what I wear when the mood takes me. I own a wooden dolphin string necklace that cost £1.79 from some shop which I tend to wear at least once a week. It just lays there next to my television, there is no need to shine it and if it falls on the floor I do not need to get all flustered in case it has been scratched. In fact my dolphin is scratched but I consider it an endearing feature. No one can really see the dolphin as it’s usually tucked underneath my t-shirt/shirt. Still the bootlace is visible as a sign that although there’s a plethora of chains out there I still like to wrap a bootlace around my neck as I strut down the street. It also possesses symbolic properties to me too. Having to dress smart to work is hard for me, although I am getting used to it. Sometimes I feel fake and look like Little Lord Fontleroy in trousers and a shirt. I really wished I did not have to wear these clothes but I am still a participant in ‘the game’. It’s funny as I never really wanted to be in ‘the game’ I just sort of fell into the race and next thing I know I’m scampering along feeling unable to stop. So the little dolphin is a reminder that somewhere inside of me is the ‘true me’. The person who could spend hours listening to digital radio or BBC’s Listen Again whilst slurping on some wine, whisky or rum and still consider it productive a productive day if I hear a song that makes me think differently. But then I have to ask myself, the longer I do what I do then surely it defines who I am more than what I want to do? Ah ha, that is true and so I am slightly anxious at the truth that perhaps I secretly enjoy being in ‘the game’ while tricking myself otherwise. Luckily the little dolphin is still there to let me know I haven’t gone just yet.

In other news, I went to Edinburgh for work the other week. Being surrounded by historic buildings, castles, culture that is century’s years old, brick work that can make an architect cream his pants, this was the only photo I took of the journey and it wasn't even in Edinburgh but Luton airport.



It’s an amazing city but not once did it dawn on me to take photos of its undoubted beauty. No, instead it was when we landed and on the way to the car that I spot an abandoned wheelchair and my mind starts to think ‘quick take a picture’.

2 comments:

asdf said...

I can't wear much jewellery either. Especially gold. I look like a chaved-up fool.

Yeah: I went to Italy, saw a lovely wedding, Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius et al; I came back with 3 pictures of outside my hotel room. Gah.

Thank god for Facebook. It saves the memories you didn't keep (or, indeed, want).

Paddington's Shadow said...

Glad to know there's some else out there unable to spot a good 'photo'.