Wednesday 29 October 2008

A Fallen Brand

It was inevitable that Russell Brand would quit his radio show on BBC 2 today after being suspended. The apology seemed sincere only smirking at the end when he spoke of Jonathan Ross but alas there is no getting around it, his show was pretty darn good and those comments aside and the David Baddiel show, it will be missed by me. Profusely.

I first listened to those comments on my ipod after downloading the show on Sunday evening. When I heard Brand suggesting and talking in undertones about sleeping with the girl, I thought it was pretty risky but he always seems to do that. Then I hear Ross blurt out ‘he fucked your grand daughter’. I actually said ‘shit’ out loud upon hearing those words and felt a little bit embarrassed. It was over the line, and those who think it is not should try empathising in both the grandfather’s and the granddaughter’s view. If I become a grandfather the last thing I would want to hear is a man full of hi jinx retelling the tale of porking one of my progeny. What made me cringe slightly more was when they started visualising the scenario such as it was likely he’d be staring at a photograph of his granddaughter aged four as he heard his answer machine message. They pretty much fucked up big time but it was not said in a baleful manner just two guys subconsciously egging each other on.

What came next was unexpected. I presumed there would be some complaints and I thought that Brand would apologise immediately. I was lying in bed on Sunday evening trying to sleep when Steven Nolan on Radio 5Live was debating what Brand and Ross said was acceptable. It was odd that something that happened a week ago had made it onto the agenda of a radio talk show. Yet the majority of callers lambasted Brand and Ross calling for them to be sacked and stripped of their high wages. There was even some contempt in their voices when they spoke of the amount of money each one of them earns. Still I thought nothing of it. But the next morning it had reached the newspapers, the front pages even. Supplanting the current credit crunch or the US elections for something that happened on October 18th, it seemed odd. I read the news article on the BBC website that there had been a complaint made by the grandfather. I could understand why he made it. What did start to gyrate with me was the ever growing band of people complaining to the BBC. The last count was 20,000. These people did not listen to the show and hear what was said. Otherwise there would have been more than the 2 complaints made (for swearing) when the show was broadcasted. They could not have downloaded the podcast because that show had already been replaced and you cannot download old ones. My interpretation of why so many complaints were made was that many people read the papers and decided to voice their anger. Fair enough if these people did hear show and the way it was delivered with intonation and enunciation of the words used. But they did not. However, because so many of them complained it raised the stories profile and bumped it onto the agenda of the national news on television.

Only after the Prime Minister voiced his opinion did the BBC suspend Ross and Brand. Maybe it is because the BBC are still wounded over the court case they lost to the Labour government regarding the Andrew Gilligan allegations, that they felt action was required. And now Brand has quit. But I can not help but feel that it is the BBC that will lose out. It is a unique institution unrivalled through out the rest of the earth. It covers news meticulously, produces programmes on both radio and television which are superb but they have handled this issue badly. If Brand and Ross were going to be dealt with why not do it when the grandfather first complained. He and his granddaughter are the ones directly involved with the actions so they should have been suspended then. Not when 20,000 odd and the Prime Minister get involved. That only suggests that they are reacting to their fury and concern and not of the feelings of those who it does really matter. And this makes the suspension seem a façade and not genuine. Anyhow, I surmise with the belief that had Matt Morgan been there none of this would have happened. Where the hell is?


In other news, it snowed last night.

4 comments:

asdf said...

Ngg. The whole thing makes me more confusederz than ever.

Half the people (or maybe more like 95% of them) wouldn't have complained had the news coverage not been so Brass Eye-esque in style.

And I can't help but think that most of it has been stirred up by members of the media jealous of (a) the seemingly untouchable position of the BBC, and (b) the large pay packets afforded to Messrs Brand and Ross.

It's a loss though. I do wish I'd heeded your constant recommendations to me about the Brand programme; it seems I'll not be able to sample its delights myself.

asdf said...

See also this half-informed outpouring.

Paddington's Shadow said...

Yeah, I think you’re right in that its jealousy fuelling most of these complaints. It's a real kick in the balls for the BBC. Losing Brand is an immense blow whether they realise it or not, he was able to bring in bona-fide subculture A listers (such as Slash) for interviews which no other broadcaster can. Now he can be picked up by another broadcasting company and in about five years time the BBC will be pondering why their programmes cannot attract viewers and the Daily Mail will once again call for the licence fee to be abolished as it is doing now. Who are they going to replace him with, Dick and Dom?

Never fear Mr Coldbrain. Here is a link to all his radio shows which includes the infamous episode. Once again I recommend you download them all and listen to them at your leisure.

http://www.russellbrandradioshows.zoomshare.com/

sazzalish said...

I can't think about this too much or I start boiling with fury. The response to Brand and Ross's immaturity is ridonkulous. Sometimes this country just exasperates me to the point where I walk around shaking my head and saying 'this country' in an Alan Partridge voice.

I think you're right that Matt Morgan would have put a stop to it all before it started though. He's an excellent foil for Russell's tomfoolery.

Also, nice bobble.