Wednesday 1 October 2008

Spreading That Toast

Dang, according to my recent observations these last couple of weeks I can pretty much tell how I will act during the day by none other than the choice of my spread that goes on my toast in the mornings. It’s dire but I started to see how my day pans out after a take a mouthful of Marmite, honey, peanut butter or margarine. It’s messed up, I know, but what I fancy in the morning pretty much tells me how my approach to the day will unravel once I’ve fully awoken.

Ok when I slap the toast down and push the button I know that my day is going to be a boring one when I want margarine. It’s like subconsciously I already know I can’t be bothered with it and there isn’t enough gusto inside me because to try and change this feeling. I’m either really tired or pissed off about something. When I spread the margarine I know that I’m not motivated, I’m not interested in enlightening my life today, thank you, I am quite happy to fester. To be honest I’d probably be content staring at the wall at work examining the cracks and the little animals that crawl out of them.

Yet it’s different when the toast pops up all golden and the next morning I'm craving honey. I sort of know I’ll soon have loads of ideas. Don’t know why, maybe it’s the sweet taste but I get small scale ones like where to go for lunch ‘screw the cafeteria I want to check out that Sushi Bar next to All Bar One’. Or larger ones like ‘if I save 5k and then take a 5k loan I can go travelling around the world for a year, right I’ll start saving now’. My mind just gets these random ideas which help the day roll by.

When it’s Marmite I want, I’m thinking about getting fit. I’ve got a love/hate relationship with marmite. I can go weeks eating it, scoffing it down everyday which seems to coincide when I’m on some sort of health vibe, like going for runs or playing squash. But then I stop playing these sports and all of a sudden I hate the black stuff. Even seeing the jar makes me gag and if I smell it I’m heaving like a cat coughing up a furball.

Occasionally I get the urge to slap on peanut butter and my day is random, I make random choices and do random things like roll up one sleeve but keep the other down. What I am trying to do, keep it real or something? Or the time I went for a walk at lunch and kept walking until I reached a small wood realised that it took me 55 minutes to get there and I’ve only got an hour for lunch so spent another 25 minutes reading my book sitting on a fallen tree trunk.


Either way I do find it strange that there is a connection (maybe sprinkled heavily with coincidence)between my morning eating habits and the feelings I have towards the day.

No comments: