Thursday 7 January 2010

Bringing The Estate Back From Disrepute

So, today I decided to cut down on my monthly outings. This was not inspired by watching an Ocean Finance advert where one can consolidate all their monthly repayments via one friendly loan.

No, this was inspired by months of mulling over mustering up the energy to quit various direct debits. I perceive the process (based on experience) as long winded, a battle of wits, and a clash of who can impose their assertiveness without being offensive. However, as it is a new year and all I set about on cancelling my first direct debit.

I took back up when I walked to the gym to end the one and half year membership. I hadn’t been since late September so pretty much knew the best thing to do was call it a day. I hadn’t got that buff, not the gym’s fault, mine really due to not regularly attending. However, in my defence I did go through a two month spate of visiting the gym at 6:55 each morning. Now that was some dedication I’ll wistfully reminisce about when I think to myself, ‘I should join a gym to get buff, I’m sure I’ll stay committed, like the time…’

Expecting to be faced with a plethora of options that involved double negatives such as, ‘So you do not not want to terminate your membership? Right?’ I was pleasantly surprised to have only a cancellation membership form thrusted in front of me by the nice lady. I filled it out and confirmed with the nice lady that the last time my account will be debited will be in Feb. I walked out feeling good that soon I’ll be saving myself £30 a month.

Next on my hit list was my internet service provider. 02 were offering me a decent deal that would cut my current bill by over 50%. I wouldn’t get the ‘up to 20meg speeds’ that are on offer from other providers but as I’ve been using 2meg since switching to broadband I’m pretty content with the slow end connection.

This time I was offered multiple choices but before being given them I had to wait to be transferred to the department of sharp talkers. It was laid on thick at how much money I could save if I stayed with them and how good their service was (it is good to be fair) but £7.50 a month for internet is too good to resist so told them that I wasn’t going to sign whatsoever and the sharp talker gave up almost instantly and then in a monosyllabic tone told me what was going to happen.

After that, I decided I’d done enough for one day and boiled the kettle thinking of what else I could cut so that I can save a few pennies come the end of the month.


In other news, I’ve had to upgrade my Flickr account to Pro. You wanna check out my Lesotho and SA photos (in unorganised format)then go here

And in even further news, Being Human is back.

No comments: